- the source for market opinions


June 23, 2024 | Canada’s Population Explodes Surpassing 41 Million

Martin Armstrong

Martin Arthur Armstrong is current chairman and founder of Armstrong Economics. He is best known for his economic predictions based on the Economic Confidence Model, which he developed.


Canada’s population has surpassed 41 million, but it is not due to new births. Statistics Canada declared that the population rose 0.6% or 242,673 people since last quarter, standing at 41,012.563 as of April 2024. The nation rose by 1.27 from 2022 to 2023 or a 3.2%. . Nearly all population growth (99.3%; 240,955 people) were solely attributed to migrants arriving in Canada.

“In 2023, the vast majority (97.6%) of Canada’s population growth came from international migration (both permanent and temporary immigration) and the remaining portion (2.4%) came from natural increase,” StatCan said in a statement. “This was the second straight year that temporary immigration drove population growth and the third year in a row with a net increase of NPRs (non-permanent residents),” it said. The number of new arrivals is increasing in 2024 at a rapid pace, far too rapid for the economy to maintain.

Now, government agencies claim that Canada’s population requires “temporary immigration” for labor and the population has grown by 100,000 migrants every quarter since Q3 2021. Canada’s unemployment rate rose in April to 6.1% from 6.1% in March, with the rate at only 5.3% in April 2023. The migrants are not filling in-demand labor roles. As with the US and every western country that permitted open borders, these people are living off of the tax payers and not producing anything. Trudeau totes that skilled labor is needed throughout Canada but the people coming in are not filling those roles either.

Trudeau has permitted an influx of migrants throughout the past six years at a pace that has only accelerated. Every recent poll has found that Canadians are concerned about the record number of new arrivals. The government has stated it would begin to cap immigration but that only applies to those entering legally.

Sentiment toward immigration has turned sour. Canadians are worried about inflation and the housing crisis. A Leger poll learned that 75% of Canadians felt that immigration was fueling the housing crisis. The Association for Canadian Studies and the Metropolis Institute surveyed Canadians in January 2023 and 21% reported that there were too many migrants. They conducted the same poll a year later and the number of concerned legal residents more than doubled to 50%. An Abacus Data survey found that 67% of Canadians believed the rate of immigration was far too high. Trudeau’s popularity is declining as Canadian society and culture begin to shift. The US is not the only country relying on an influx of immigrants and war to alter elections.

STAY INFORMED! Receive our Weekly Recap of thought provoking articles, podcasts, and radio delivered to your inbox for FREE! Sign up here for the Weekly Recap.

June 23rd, 2024

Posted In: Armstrong Economics

Post a Comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All Comments are moderated before appearing on the site


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.